Monday, February 18, 2008

New Music Day



The Andi & George Band

It's not exactly 'new' as they've been getting some attention recently with their debut album from September (maybe?) but The Andi & George Band are an incredibly talented group of Canberra-based musicians who, to put it bluntly, make some cool shit. The singers/songwriters (surprisingly enough, Andi & George) are blessed with astoundingly unique singing voices and shitloads of talent. Songs like Soon It Will Be Green Again sound just as good with a flute and two guitars as they do on record and lyrically you can't go past a song about eggs and bacon for breakfast - one I unfortunately can't find a studio recording of. Their sound fits somewhere between folk, jazz and dub with a lot of Latin music influences floating about. The self-titled debut is music to chill out to. It's sunny-day-fuck-off-to-the-beach stuff and I can imagine some people finding it boring but there's an abundance of style on the record that's kept me listening. And I can't say enough good things about them live.

If you're not convinced go ahead and snag the first song from their album. I hope they don't mind me putting it out there.

The Andi & George Band - Soon It Will Be Green Again

Sidenote - Good Vibrations sucked. Kanye West was great, loved the theatrics. The sound was awful in the Roots tent so I could barely hear Cypress, but Thievery Corporation & Pharoahe Monch made it worthwhile enough. If the organizers don't work out the problems with the size of the venue (too small) and the sound I'll just be hitting the sideshows next year. Apparently Cypress & Monch were much better on Wednesday night.

Post-sidenote - I was also gonna talk about Me And The Grownups, the band that launched their album at the Basement in Sydney last night (who Andi & George (and Lina)) were supporting but I haven't been able to get a hold of their album to give it a closer listen. As soon as I do I'll write them up.

No comments: