Friday, August 22, 2008

Bloc Party - Intimacy (3/4)

draft 2

Maybe I'm not picky enough with my music. I constantly find it disconcerting that I enjoy records the majority of publications and blog intelligentsia shun. Words like overproduced mean nothing as long as the song sounds good, right? Well, maybe not. A Weekend In The City, a constant in my iPod through 2007, hasn't exactly fostered a great reputation. Flux didn't help but I still loved it. Ditto Mercury. In my own snarky way I hoped Intimacy would be full of Mercurys, a harsh lesson to Silent Alarm fans who refused to give Bloc Party the opportunity to break out of their indie-dance-rock typecasting. It's not be the complete departure into brassy rave music the lead single hints at but Intimacy is, to say the least, a surprise. By oscillating wildly between styles Intimacy is part Silent Alarm, part AWITC and then something else entirely.

draft 3

Ares is urgent in a way that underscores Intimacy's sound and its sudden announcement, with a breakbeat style rhythm and a guitar straight out of the Chemical Brothers mid-90's peak. It's loud and fast probably what people want to hear after the extensive (or overproduced, depending on who you ask) scope of Weekend. Trojan Horse displays the talent of songwriter Kele Okereke with ambiguous lines like 'used to take your watch off / before we made love / you didn't want to share our time with anyone / you used to close your eyes / when we kissed goodbye / you didn't want to see me draped with sadness'. His blind optimism is both familiar and depressing. It's not all punchy riffs and breakbeats though.
(tbc)

No comments: